August – TN Valley Republican Women
Our meetings are the third Tuesday night of each month except December, July, and August. Meetings are at 6 pm. and are held at the Hamilton County GOP Headquarters, 1428 Chestnut Street, Suite E, Chattanooga, TN 37402. Supper is served with an RSVP and a $10 cost.
In September, we are planning several activities, as follows, to celebrate Constitution Week:
– Essay Contest for 9th – 12th graders
– Theme: Limited Government – Reserved Powers: The Ninth and Tenth Amendments
– Prizes: 1st place – $500
– 2nd place – $300
– 3rd place – $200
– Essay Deadline: September 6, 2013
– For more information, please contact our Constitution Week Chair, Pam Fields, at email@example.com
Also, we will be partnering with UTC to promote a Constitution Day Lecture:
– When: September 17th, 2013 – 7:30 – 9 p.m.
– Where: University of Tennessee at Chattanooga UC Auditorium
– Lecture topic: When St. Paul Met Aeneas in Philadelphia: The Classical and Christian Origins of the American Founding
– Speaker: Professor Bradley Birzer
– Bradley J. Birzer is Russell Amos Kirk Chair in American Studies and Professor in History, Hillsdale College, Michigan. Author of American Cicero: The Life of Charles Carroll (2010), Sanctifying the World: The Augustinian Life and Mind of Christopher Dawson (2007), and J.R.R. Tolkien’s Sanctifying Myth (2003), Birzer is Chairman of the Board of Academic Advisors for the Center for the American Republic, a Senior Scholar with the Intercollegiate Studies Institute, and a Fellow with the Mitch McConnell Center. Famed writer Joseph Pearce named Birzer’s biography of Christopher Dawson the best book of the 2008, and CSPAN recently labeled Birzer one of the 25 best living scholars of American history. Birzer’s latest book examines the western liberal arts tradition in the work of cultural and literary critic Russell Kirk. He and his wife live in Hillsdale; they have seven children.
We will have a short business meeting at GOP Headquarters at 5:30 on September 17 to elect delegates for our Tennessee State convention, and then we will carpool over to the UTC program.
Call for Articles about Constitution:
– We have put out a call for talented Republican authors to write articles, letters to the editor and opinion pieces about the US Constitution for publication in the Chattanooga Times Free Press and possibly other outlets. Articles are to be submitted to the TVRW Constitution Week Committee via Tommy Crangle at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 29, 2013.
Annual Spaghetti Supper:
– TVRW Spaghetti Supper to benefit The Fisher House
– Friday, October 4, 2013 – 5-7 p.m.
– Lion’s Club, Red Bank
The Fisher House provides free or low cost lodging to the families of military men and women who are being treated at military medical facilities across the Nation. A new Fisher House is being built in Murfreesboro.